Bathroom renovations take a lot of planning, and if you have decided to use granite for the counters, then it is important that you learn how to choose the right granite for your project.
Since there is an abundance of granite options available, you’ll probably find it overwhelming when trying to decide which one to buy. Bathroom counters don’t take as much of a beating as those in a kitchen do, so it is mainly expense, style, and a few other things that need to be considered, such as:
- Luxury — choose a finish and color that will give your bathroom that luxurious look you’re aiming for
- Practicality — make sure that the granite you choose will be able to stand up to splashes, soaps, toothpaste, chemicals, and hot items such as hair dryers, and still stay looking good
- Matches perfectly with existing finishes — choose a color and style that works well with the existing colors, floors, fittings, and wall tiles
Choosing a Countertop Layout
Although there are several different countertop layouts that are popular with many people, it all depends on the size of your bathroom, as to what your options are.
In a small bathroom, for example, a single wall granite countertop is ideal. Although it takes up the least amount of space in a small area, the granite stone itself that will give the bathroom that luxurious look and feel. For larger bathroom renovations, countertops could be custom-made to suit the owner’s particular needs.
Granite can be used in many areas of the home
Although the majority of people think of kitchen and bathroom countertops when anyone mentions granite, there are many other places where it can be used in the home, some of them being:
- Fireplace mantles and surrounds — granite stone is exceptionally heat-resistant, so it is an ideal material to use for fireplace mantles and surrounds. Not only that, but the beauty of the material will make your fireplace a real conversation piece in your living room, and will also create a warm and inviting atmosphere for your friends and family to congregate.
- Backsplashes — these features are extremely popular these days, with both interior decorators and homeowners, especially those who want to give a kitchen that modern look. A granite backsplash on the wall behind a stove, not only makes it a focal point in the kitchen, but also makes it easy to clean the splashes and spillages that will inevitably happen.
- Tiling — granite tiling is an excellent choice if you want a surface that is very different and looks good. They can be used on the walls or floors in bathrooms, kitchens, and other areas of your home, and the natural pattern of the material will ensure that each surface is unique.
Although granite is an extremely popular material used by many people in kitchens, bathrooms, and elsewhere in their homes, there are other stones that can be used too, that are equally as beautiful, including:
- Quartz – one of the hardest and most abundant materials found in nature
- Marble — elegant and exceptionally beautiful, marble can be adapted to suit all styles
- Concrete — not only used these days in the construction industry, concrete is incredibly durable, relatively eco-friendly, and can be cast into any required shape, size, and style.
- Lava stone — being a natural volcanic rock, lava stone is able to tolerate high temperatures and distribute heat evenly, which gives it the edge on most other stone kitchen counter tops.
Besides being durable, granite countertops, as well as those made from other types of stone, are extremely functional, beautiful and unique, and a great investment for any home.